Walk-in tubs are not your normal bathing experience. They provide a completely relaxing, luxury experience that has many healthy side effects. From pain management to helping treat mental health conditions, there are many reasons why using a walk-in tub can lead to safer, healthier living for older adults.
Falls are the leading cause of injury and injury death in adults 65 and older in the U.S., according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Where do most of those falls occur? According to research, about 80% of them happen in the bathroom.
It makes sense. The combination of wet floors, often dimly lit spaces, and the big step that is required to get into and out of most bathtubs and showers is highly dangerous, especially for people with limited mobility and strength. One fall can be devasting to an older person.
Walk-in tubs reduce the risk of falling while in the bathroom because of how safe they make entering and exiting the tub. Our walk-in tubs are equipped with multiple safety features that reduce the chances of falling, including:
- Low entry door threshold that makes it easier to step in and out of
- Anti-slip floors that heavily reduce slipping while in the tub
- Grab bars and handrails that provide extra support
- ADA compliant seating make it easy to move and enter/exit the tub
Pain Reduction and Symptom Alleviation
Older adults suffer from a wide range of illnesses and medical conditions, many of which cause pain and discomfort in their bodies. This is why hydrotherapy—the use of water for soothing pains and treating certain medical conditions—is a critical component of all walk-in tubs. The ability to sit in warm water for extended periods of time, accompanied by heated seats and backrests and soothing massage jets, provides many pain management benefits that include:
- Relieving muscle tension
- Relaxing joints and tendons
- Increasing blood flow
- Reducing nerve sensitivity
- Decreasing inflammation
Soaking in warm water is also known to increase endorphins, the body’s natural pain killers. Endorphins help with everything from pain reduction to reducing stress and can even improve a person’s mental well-being. People who purchase walk-in tubs often do so to help with:
- Circulation issues
- Chronic pain
- Joint issues
- High blood pressure
- Much more
Relaxation and Stress Relief
Many older adults run the risk of suffering from depression and anxiety, which are exacerbated by the physical maladies they also often suffer from. Walk-in tubs are equipped with multiple features that are designed to create a relaxing bathing experience for everyone:
- Chromotherapy: light-based chromotherapy creates a spa-like experience. Color-rich lights can create a relaxing and stimulating environment to bathe in.
- Aromatherapy: stimulate the senses with natural plant extracts known as essential oils. These rich aromas create a relaxing experience that makes a person happier and more relaxed, and they can even help stimulate the body’s natural defenses.
- Micro bubbles: these small bubbles feel great as they gently touch the skin, penetrating pores and providing many other health benefits.
Relaxing in a stimulating and warm bath will not cure depression and anxiety, but they can help anyone relax and alleviate the symptoms of these conditions.
It’s not uncommon for older adults to stop bathing because of how difficult or dangerous it is. This creates a severely dangerous situation. Poor hygiene leads to many adverse conditions, including:
- Skin conditions
- Dry skin
- More severe health conditions
Walk-in tubs not only make it easier for older adults to bathe, they also create a wonderfully relaxing and enjoyable bathing experience. You’ll find that they will not only be able to take a bath, they will look forward to it.
Learn more about our products at Independent Home and see how you can save $1500 on your purchase! Call 888-243-1297 to request a free quote.